Monday, April 20, 2015

Mary J. Blige Opens Up About Surviving Pain And Turmoil, "It Happened...To Push Me To Another Level" + The Official Trailer For "DOPE" With A$AP Rocky, Zoe Kravitz, Chanel Iman & Quincy Brown

 photo MaryJBligeGlobalCitizen2015EarthDayUlOplhVib_2l.jpg

Mary J. Blige opened up about the making of her documentary The London Sessions, revealing how she's survived years of abuse and drama.  See what she said inside and watch the trailer for the funny Hip Hop coming-of-age story DOPE.

 

Last week, we brought you photos from the Tribeca Film Festival premiere of the documentary "The London Sessions" starring Mary J. Blige. The 45-film documents the recording of Mary's 13th album, which took place in the UK with the help of Sam Smith, Disclosure, Emeli Sandé, Naughty Boy, and Sam Romans.

Mary sat down with NBCBLK to talk about the film, the years of drama and turmoil she survived and what's next for the Queen Of Hip Hop Soul. Here are the highlights:

On public fallout from her eviction, the "Crisy Chicken" song, and financial impropriety with her philanthropic endeavors:

"Well, I don't really know why a lot of it was happening...it was just time for it to happen and it was time for it to happen to me, so it could push me to another level and another place.'

Taking responsibility for her own mistakes...

"It was a disastrous," Blige, 44, added — owning up to her accountability. "And a lot of it came from not paying attention; a lot of it came from just trusting the wrong people. And it was a wake up call, it was a huge humongous wake up call for me to say 'Look, you don't need any of these people around and I'm going to make sure that you see how fast they run when this happens.' And it was just the biggest wake up call ever."

On being grateful for her struggles...

"I'm grateful for it though and it hurt like hell because it was public and it all over and I was like 'good Lord.' It was very, very painful because back in the day, I've been through hell but with today's social media and the news and it was something so big and disastrous it had to be for something good."

 

"And when you see the amount of it, you get to see exactly who you are. And it's how you respond to it or react. And what I learned is that I really respond well because I don't pay it any mind but the fact is that a lot of it hurt. But at the end of the day, you wont know it hurts. So, I just learned my strength in that. I learned my weaknesses and it's a whole other level from back in the days. I'm somewhere else in my life. It's a whole other strength that I learned that I had."
 

Read the full article here.

 

 

Coming soon... 

 
Today, we received the official trailer for DOPE, a coming-of-age story that pays homages to the golden era of Hip Hop....and it was produced by Forest Whitaker and Pharrell Williams (he also wrote four original songs for the film).

What's the film about? It stars Shameik Moore as Malcolm, a young man from the rough side of LA trying to survive while juggling college applications (he wants to attend Harvard), academic interviews, and the SAT. Here's the problem - he gets an invitation to a big underground party and that kicks off a gritty adventure filed with offbeat characters and bad choices. The film's tagline states, "If Malcolm can persevere, he'll go from being a geek, to being dope, to ultimately being himself."

The movie was directed by Rick Famuyiwa and Sean Combs serves as co-executive producer. Lead actor Shameik is joined on-screen by YBF stars Zoe Kravitz, A$AP Rocky, Chanel Iman and Quincy Brown.  #DOPEMOVIE arrive in theaters - June 19th!

 

 

Photo via Getty

Source: http://theybf.com/2015/04/20/mary-j-blige-opens-up-about-surviving-pain-and-turmoil-it-happenedto-push-me-to-another

Ben Affleck Cory Monteith Justin Bieber

No comments:

Post a Comment